Recently I felt a bit exhausted. I didn’t know why and I thought is because my baby is disturbing my sleep at midnight as she still has a habit of waking up at midnight asking for milk.
As usual, I didn’t want to just sit down and complain about not doing anything, so I start to search for the reason why I am I so exhausted. Then I was thinking, is it because I have been thinking too much and absorbing a lot of negative energy?
On 10th October 2022, I was just aware that there is a day called World Mental Health Day. That struck my mind and I was asking recently I feel very exhausted is it because my mental health is affected? I cannot deny that recently I have been thinking a lot about my work, my daughter’s future (even though she is just like 1 year plus), my relationship with my husband, my family, and a lot more… and again I start asking, does overthink affecting my mental health?
These are the sign of overthinking shared at Houston Methodist:
- Dwelling on past events or situations
- Second-guessing decisions you’ve made
- Replaying your mistakes in your mind
- Rehashing challenging or uncomfortable conversations
- Fixating on things you can’t control, change or improve
- Imagining the worst-case scenario or outcome
- Following your worries out of the present moment and into an unchangeable past or unforeseeable future
- “Running your list” while trying to fall asleep
- Questioning but never making a decision or taking action
Out of 9 signs, I hit 9. This is seriously bad.
“Studies show that ruminating on stressful events can, over time, lead to anxiety and depression,” warns Dr. Fowler. “From a mental health standpoint, anxiety can affect your ability to cope with everyday stressors, and depression results in sadness, loneliness and feelings of emptiness.”
Anxiety and Depression come with physical symptoms which is:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Trouble sleeping
- Changes in appetite
Out of 6 symptoms, I hit 4.
I guess I really need to do something with my “Overthinking” issue.
Any suggestion that I can try on to overcome my overthinking issue?